Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mic Mixers...What uses have these?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.

    I have several Altec mic mixer/pre-amps and I was curious what I could use these for. These were all previously used as pre-amps for theatre sound-head "exciter" lamp outputs, and all are pristine. If these are of some other use that suits me, I'll keep some/all, however, if not, I'd like to ebay them.
    I'm in the process of setting up my home audio with 2 A5's, and JBL 075's, and hope to tri-amp. I also play guitar. I know there's some sort of use with Guitar, etc. (not sure what). What about for my home audio... any use there?
    I have 1589B, 1592A, 1689B (2, or 3 of this model). Which is the better model? Also have NOS 15095's, 1588a's, and 1588b's. Which, if any would I need to support whatever it is these buggers are good for?

    Any insights you may lend would be much appreciated, as I'd hate to sell something I later find I need. Thanks much fella's.

    Regards,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mic Mixers...What uses have these?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    If you think long enough you can invent a use for anything...as far as need, there is certainly not a need for any of these on your stereo.

    best bet is just offer them for sale, or trade for stuff you need.

    Probably are people here who have stuff you need and could use these, if you want to post a complete list you may get some trade offers.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    15095s have a use (if you mean 15095 transformers) a couple of uses actually, you can use them as input transformers or step up transformers for MC cartridges. You should hang on to a pair of those even though they are easy to sell.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Oscar A's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2007
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Mike, I have some information useful for you.
    The 1589B is a Two (2) input mixer for either mic, line or phono inputs acoording to the input module used.
    The 1592A is a five (5) input mixer for mic, line or phono.
    The 15095 is an input plug in transformer for line input 15,000 Ohms to 600 Ohms. Can be used with any of the above mixers.
    Bothh 1588A &1588B low impedance mic transformer isolated input modules, to be used also with the mixers above.

    Sorry about the 1689B but I have no handy information about it.
    Hope it helps

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK. so these things are basically little rack mounted mixing boards?

    I've seen others with these on auction and they always tout how really great they are for guitar, etc. but none I've seen ever elaborated on what makes them so. I can see now that they might have some use for a drummer, and perhaps mic'd guitar cabinets, but fail to see the hoopla that some of the sellers descriptions boast. Am I missing something?

    As to trading, or whatever, yes, be happy to. My wife will probablky run these up on her ebay thing Thursday or so, but if someone here is interested, sure we can trade. These were bought new by my brother in the '70's or maybe early '80's (I dunno), and were used only to pre-amp the signal from movie projector sound head 'exciter lamp' to the sound processor. All are virtually PRISTINE/MINT condition. I pulled these maybe 8 yrs. ago when we converted his stuff to reverse can LED's and so forth. They've sat, boxed, on a shelf in my film vault since. My wife sold 1 1589B a year or so ago on ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Prices have declined since on that model it seems.
    1- 1589B (Green) 2 inputs/single rack space/1 octal for a 15095 trans.
    1- 1592A (Green) 5 inputs/5 Octals/2 rack spaces/lots of knobs, and a cool lighted meter. (this ****** looks really impressive) (yes.. before meeting you folks I made equipment selections based on knob/light totals)
    2-3 - 1689B (Black) 1 rack space/potts on face for tone controls, balance, etc./seperate mic jack on face (switched) to allow for announcement overides I assume/no octals (I think the transformers are built in)
    *I also have some "TOA" power amps...
    2-4 Model 900 Power amps Excellent condition/good amp - $65.00 each plus actual shipping
    1-2 Model 500 Pwr. Amps (I think these have tone/etc. controls on face) must check to be certain regarding features. Excellent+
    1-3 earlier model TOA's as well. 1-100watt/excellent+ (I really like these .. no colorations, and they run 24-7 w/no worries. 1 - (same model) unsure of condition... may/may not need something fixed (will check out if interest). 3rd model is a 60 watt (I think).. I'll check.
    I also have lots of vintage vac tubes. All from my Dad's shop (Jukebox/sound equip. guy for 35+ years). Most are NOS surplus military, or similar grade RCA, Sylv., Telefunken, etc. from the late 1940's - maybe late 1970's. I can test most, and will guarentee everything. Lots of Radio? tubes RCA 40, 50, 60, etc. plus nearly every other thing. If you need stuff and send me a list (Numbers, and any subs), I'll check and reply. You can name your prices, as long as your fair. I don't need top dollar, but the loot goes to my Mom (and so I guess eventually back to me, and about 26 more of us). Lots of NOS jukebox needles too! Mostly pre-1975ish machines (Seeburgs, Rock-Ola, Wurlitzer-including model 1015, etc. Most models 1950's-1970.

    My email is: [email protected]

    Hope I didn't violate protocol in my manner of offering. My apologies if so.
    Thanks very much for the info. You fellows are a never ending source of amazment for me. If I hadn't found this forum, and had enough sense to follow your advice, I'd have sold all my cool altec theatre stuff, and been stuck listening to my Klipsch's, and thinking "is this all there is?". Ha ha ha.

    Regards,
    Mike

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mic Mixers...What uses have these?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    No sweat, you didn't violate any protocol.

    Most of the touting- "great for guitar" and all that is just so much BS. forums

    The mixers are nice little mixers. They certainly have uses, but I'll argue with anybody no better than most decent boards.

    I do like the old tube compressors, except for all the maintenance.

    There was a suggestion to keep a couple of the trannies- that is one nice thing that can be done with them. And they won't go down in value...

    I don't use any mag preamps, my vinyl was all committed to digital long ago.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mic Mixers...What uses have these?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Oscar A:
    Sorry about the 1689B but I have no handy information about it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is it possible the OP transposed?

    There was a 1698 monitor panel...

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Mic Mixers...What uses have these?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    persistence pays...here's a 1689A

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-13.JPG

    Much later than anything I worked with...the "b" seems to have added the jack on the front.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member mlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Noooo! Old Guy (jeez that sounds terrible) you are correct. I got confused. I have 1689A's. Don't know if there are 1689B's or not, but I was thinking of same era Booth Sound Monitors regarding the front panel Low z jack. I have several of those as well. They have a 6 position monitor capabilty, either w/or w/o the front mic input included (so maybe 7 I guess?). The previous model (the greenie) only had I think 4 possible selections one could choose to monitor. Those had a really ****** speaker too. The Black face models have a really nice little full range Altec made speaker. I have a couple of the old model green face's, one came with a decent (used loosely) TOA speaker, the other with what I'm almost certain is the same piece of **** that was in many RCA 8mm projectors ("Projected sound). IMO the two models sound night and day. Niether seems to be worth anything, don't know why anyone would require these other than theatres (or maybe for "MUSAK" applications). I'll probably pull the nice little Altec speakers from the newer ones, and maybe use them somehow somewhere. The greens are going on ebay in the hope some overseas collector needs one for his/her Altec display!

    Sorry for the stupid error. Most of my stuff is tucked away on shelves at the show, and I end up operating off a memory tainted by the '60's/'70's (and '80's who anm I kidding?), and time spent workin' for my Uncle Sam. HA HA HA.

    "too much magic bus"

    Thanks again for your efforts folks. I appreciate it.
    Mike

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Oscar A's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2007
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes Old Guy, you are right. The 1698 is an amplified monitor panel with an XLR input on the front panel for line or loudspeaker level. It has a 2W power amplifier and a 4" loudspeaker.
    The 1689A is a two input mixer with tone control.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.